Please find the application link here: https://jobs.oregonstate.edu/postings/119400
The College of Forestry Administration is seeking a Statistical Consultant. This is a full-time (1.00 FTE), 12-month, professional faculty position
The position is in the College of Forestry. The incumbent provides statistical consulting and collaboration to faculty, research staff, and graduate students in the areas of study design, statistical data analysis, ethical guidelines for study design and analysis, and scientific communication of data. They also will assist with the delivery of a graduate course in data analysis.
The incumbent works independently to advise students and faculty on appropriate statistical design, provides guidance on appropriate statistical tools and software, and aids in most phases of research. The incumbent also aids in the educational delivery of classes and workshops and is responsible for training college personnel on the most current and appropriate statistical methods and software. This position is integral to supporting the collaborative research objectives of the College of Forestry.
65% – Statistical Consulting:
- Provide statistical consulting and collaboration by appointment to College of Forestry graduate students, research staff, and faculty.
- Develop an understanding of the statistical methodology and research in the College of Forestry through one-on-one meetings with researchers, staff and students.
- Understand multiple research projects and advise researchers on appropriate experimental design and statistical approaches and models for specific projects.
- Suggest appropriate and ethically sound analytical tools and source references to conduct analysis.
- Research technical questions posed in consulting sessions through reading and evaluation of primary statistical literature.
- Provide training and examples for statistical computing software.
- Maintain familiarity with the breadth of research conducted in the College.
- Keep records on number and kind of consulting activities led; regularly evaluate effectiveness.
- Selectively engage in advanced collaborations that will lead to co-authorship of publications and/or becoming key personnel on grant proposals, and for which external funds are applied (level negotiable).
20% – Educational Delivery:
- Participate in the development and delivery of courses and workshops in the College.
- Teach or co-teach one for-credit course per academic year on R or related programming/analysis software of high interest to students (e.g., best practices in coding, such as using github, annotating code, working in projects, and how to set up your file structure).
- Lead lab sections of statistics courses and provide direct support and consultation to students. · Coordinate with Instructor of Record to develop research and data analysis examples for use in class.
- Regularly offer workshops and trainings to students and personnel in the College to enhance statistical knowledge and skills and provide hands-on training on current methods and programs.
- Engage in department meetings to ensure faculty are aware of statistical consulting services and receive feedback on services offered.
10% – Professional Development:
- Engage in academic and professional workshops, lectures, and other educational opportunities to keep current on statistical methods, ethical practices, and software.
5% – Service: Other service and duties, as assigned.
- Master’s degree in statistics or data science with an emphasis in statistical methods.
- Demonstrated statistical consulting experiences in an academic or research environment.
- Demonstrated experience with and thorough knowledge of statistical programming software (e.g., R, SAS, SPSS).
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills to professionally communicate to clients and represent the College appropriately.
- Familiarity with ethical guidelines for sound experimental design, data management and analysis, and graphical/written communication of findings.
- Demonstrated experience mentoring and communicating effectively about statistical methods and concepts in one-on-one and group settings to clients with a wide range of backgrounds, including those inexperienced or insecure with statistical methods.
- Demonstrated ability to manage fluctuating workloads and priorities while maintaining a professional and customer service-oriented manner.
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Preferred (Special) Qualifications
- Experience in research pertaining to natural resources.
- Experience teaching statistics and assessing learning outcomes in a classroom setting.
- Experience with machine learning tools and techniques.
- Experience in application of general and generalized mixed models.
- Experience communicating findings and offering advice through effective data visualizations and comprehensive reports.
Closing Date: 06/19/2022
When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1) A resume/CV; and
2) A cover letter indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position.
3) Diversity Statement: Discuss your experiences, education, and commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI). Provide a concrete example of your commitment and how you might apply it to your work in this position. Please be specific and describe what behaviors you display to support and encourage a diverse and collaborative work environment.
- Starting salary within the salary range will be commensurate with skills, education, and experience.
You will also be required to submit the names of at least three professional references, their e-mail addresses and telephone numbers as part of the application process.
For additional information please contact:
OSU is committed to the health of our local and global community. All employees and students are required to comply with the university’s COVID-19 Vaccination Program. Please visit https://covid.oregonstate.edu/ for additional information about OSU’s plans for safety and success, as well as options for compliance with the vaccination program.
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.