View position announcement here.
The School of Forestry at Northern Arizona University invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Practice in Forest Management. This is a 12-month, non-tenure-track appointment, starting July 2022. We seek an applicant with relevant expertise in forest planning and management with at least five years of experience in the professional forestry sector. At a minimum, the successful applicant will:
- • With faculty, lead the development and implementation of a management plan for the Centennial Forest in coordination with Arizona State Land Department, Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management, and other stakeholders;
- • Coordinate workforce development programs related to wildland fire, land management, and other associated tasks;
- • Hire and supervise summer workforce and work-study students;
- • Teach a variety of forestry class- or field-based courses;
- • Work alongside faculty, students, and staff at NAU, as well as other stakeholders across Arizona to seek funding for developing and implementing Centennial Forest research and education programs;
- • Assist with planning and advisement on research and educational opportunities at NAU’s Historic Hat Ranch;
- • Organize and provide oversight of extracurricular activities related to student clubs, such as timber and logging sports, and facilities at the Centennial Forest;
- • Provide updates and coordinate proposed Centennial Forest activities with Arizona Department of Forestry and Fire Management;
- • Participate in an annual review of the Intergovernmental Agreement for the Centennial Forest and provide a written report of yearly activities describing outcomes and accomplishments (students and classes taught, research conducted, papers published, etc.)
This position will report directly to the Executive Director of the School of Forestry.
- • Master's degree in forestry or closely related field.
- • At least five years professional experience in forest/land management.
- • Master’s degree focus on forest/land management, silviculture, or related topics. • Batchelor’s degree in forestry or closely related field.
- • Professional certifications related to forestry and forest management;
- • Demonstrated experience in staff supervision;
- • Demonstrated teaching experience; and
- • Evidence of or potential for excellence in working with students and individuals from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds, including rural and Southwest populations.
The anticipated start date for this position is July 2022.
Submission Deadline This position will be open until filled or closed.
Review of applications will begin on April 18, 2022. Applications must be submitted through nau.jobs (please quote Job ID 606142) and must include: (1) a letter of interest highlighting your particular qualifications for this position; (2) a curriculum vitae; (3) unofficial graduate transcripts of all college level work; (4) one-page DEIJ statement (see description above) and (5) names and contact information for three professional references (phone number, email, and address). Save all items as PDF documents.
For more information, please contact Dr. David Auty, Search Committee Chair, School of Forestry, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff AZ 86011-5018; phone: 928-523-6680. Email: David.Auty@nau.edu.