Job no: 520072
Work type: Teaching & Research Faculty
Senior management: Natural Resources
Department: For Resources & Environ Consrv
Location: Blacksburg - Main Campus
Categories: Instructional / Teaching Faculty
Our expectation is that the successful candidate will build an outstanding and recognized research program in sustainable forest operations and have a passion to instruct and mentor students pursuing studies in the field. The focus of research may include: forest operations, forest resource harvesting, safety, transportation and logistics, and roads and environmental impacts. The selected candidate will complement current departmental strengths in forest soils, watersheds and wetlands, silviculture, forest management and business, and geospatial analysis.
This is a full-time, tenure-track, 9-month appointment with primary responsibilities in teaching (50%) and research (50%). The successful candidate will teach undergraduate courses in the area of sustainable forest operations, that may include forest harvesting and sustainable forest product supply chain courses. Advising and mentoring of both graduate and undergraduate students is required. Participation in departmental, college, and university affairs is expected.
• Ph.D. in forestry, forest operations, or related field with dissertation focus on sustainable forest operations by the time of appointment
• Demonstrated actions to create or contribute to a diverse, equitable and inclusive community
• Demonstrated ability and interest in developing and teaching lecture, lab, or field-based courses in sustainable forest operations
• Demonstrated ability and interest to collaborate in research with state or federal agencies, foreign governments, NGOs, private industry, or some combination of these groups
• Demonstrated potential to attract research funding adequate to support an active research program, including graduate students
• Demonstrated ability and desire to contribute to the peer-reviewed literature
• Position requires occasional travel to attend conferences and meetings
• Demonstrated teaching effectiveness at the university level
• Demonstrated record of research and/or teaching and/or mentoring addressing needs of under-represented communities, including racial, ethnic, and religious minorities, immigrants, and underrepresented genders
• Postdoctoral research experience
• Experience advising and directing the research of undergraduate and/or graduate students
• Research competencies that complement existing program strengths
• Teaching competencies related to sustainable forest operations, including, but not limited to: timber harvesting; forest product supply chain; forest roads and boundaries
• Experience and/or educational background that supports a broad undergraduate and graduate forestry curriculum
Commensurate with Experience
August 31, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
Application materials should include the following information:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter expressing a statement of interest in the position
- Statement of teaching experience, philosophy and interests
- Statement of experiences and interests in the field of Forest Operations
- Names, titles, and complete contact information for three references
Questions and inquiries may be addressed to Dr. Scott Barrett, email@example.com , chair of the search committee.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Mary Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: April 21, 2022
Applications close: Open until filled